About Us: History and
The BH-BL Central School District has a nearly 100-year
history of stability and excellence in education and of
residents and staff working together. In fact, the district
began when local residents grew tired of paying tuition and
railroad fares for their children to attend high schools in
nearby towns and decided to build their own high school.
- 1915: Three one-room schools join to
form the "Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake Union Free School
District," New York state's first "consolidated" school
- 1916: The Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake
School of Agriculture & Homemaking opens on Lakehill Road on
the site of the current Stevens Elementary School.
- 1920: The first high school graduation
ceremony is held for two pupils.
- 1925-62: Gradually 14 more one-room
schools join the BH-BL centralized district.
- 1930-31: The front section of the
original Lakehill Road school burns and is rebuilt.
- 1951: Our first specifically elementary
school, Pashley, is built on Pashley Road. With the post-war
baby boom, the community is growing so fast that the new
school cannot handle the elementary enrollment, and many
children continue to attend one-room schools.
- 1955: The BH-BL High School is built,
and the original Lakehill Road school is converted to the
Ballston Lake Elementary School
- 1958: The Glenhaven and Charlton
Heights Elementary Schools are built on Cypress Drive and
Stage Road, respectively, using the same design and floor
plans to save money.
- 1961: The new Junior High opens, the
third district school to be built on Lakehill Road.
- 1962-69: Additions are built onto all
six district schools to handle the still-growing enrollment.
- 1967: Ballston Lake Elementary is
renamed the Francis L. Stevens Elementary School to honor
its longtime school principal and the district's first
Superintendent of Schools.
- 1970: District enrollment reaches a
peak of 5,467 pupils.
- 1981: Glenhaven Elementary is closed
due to declining enrollment. The district administrative
offices and several tenants move into Glenhaven, and the
former administration building is sold.
- 1985: 9th grades classes are moved from
the Junior High to the High School.
- 1988: 6th grade classes are moved from
the elementary schools to the Junior High, and that building
is converted to the BH-BL Middle School for grades 6-8.
- 1994: The Middle School is renamed the
Richard H. O'Rourke Middle School to honor Dr. O'Rourke upon
his retirement after 25 years as the superintendent of
- 2004: The Glenhaven Building is renamed
the Hostetter Administration & Leadership Center to honor
retiring superintendent Bill Hostetter.
Since the mid-1980's, enrollment in the district's five
schools has remained remarkably steady, hovering between 3,300
to 3,500 total pupils annually.
In October 2010, the school district serves 3,335 pupils,
including 27 pupils placed full time in BOCES, vocational or
special education schools.
The district's three elementary schools range in enrollment
from 400 to 500 pupils each. All three elementary schools serve
Serving grades 6, 7 and 8, the O'Rourke Middle School has
approximately 790 pupils, and the Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake High
School serves some 1,170 students in grades 9-12.