About Us: Mission and Core
BH-BL Central Schools Mission Statement
The Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake Central School District creates
an educational environment that ensures opportunities for
learning, personal growth and social responsibility.
The above Mission Statement and the following list of Core
Beliefs & Key Expectations for various groups within the school
district were developed by more than 60 stakeholders in 1996 and
were formally adopted by the Board of Education in 1997.
Collectively, these statements are also called the District's
"Framework for Planning."
- The BH-BL community values its children and the quality
of their education.
- Comprehensive public education is available to all. The
District provides a variety of experiences to allow all
children to learn.
- High academic achievement is a priority.
- Students and staff need to be challenged to achieve
- Continuous improvement is essential.
- Change is the result of thoughtful study involving
students, staff, and community.
- Learning is a lifelong process.
- Students, staff, parents, and community members are
partners, and all have a personal responsibility in the
- Quality education is worth the investment and requires
sound fiscal management.
Key Expectations For Students
All students will:
- Respect and be respected.
- Be prepared to learn to the best of their abilities.
- Use opportunities available to set personal goals and
make informed choices to accomplish those goals.
Key Expectations For the Community
The community will:
- Value education.
- Be committed, supportive, and responsive to the schools.
- Share their expertise and resources.
- Provide bridges between school & life.
- Set high standards.
- Communicate and listen.
Key Expectations For Staff
All District employees will:
- Create an environment in which children are safe,
treated fairly, and prepared for the future with quality
- Strive for excellence by working hard, continuing to
learn and grow, and being adaptable, qualified, and well
- Respect, and be respected by, students, parents, &
- Work cooperatively and communicate openly with all
partners in the educational process.
Demonstrate their accountability by:
- Using school & community resources responsibly.
- Setting, achieving, and assessing measurable goals.
- Participating in on-going, proactive supervision.
Key Expectations For Parents
All parents will:
- Provide nurturance of children’s health and basic needs.
- Provide a home environment conducive to learning.
- Support the belief that academics are essential.
- Be informed and actively involved in the educational
- Teach and model respect for all persons and property.
- Teach and model discipline and their own values.
- Provide open, honest, and timely communication with
school staff and other partners in the educational process.